Youth Art and Storytelling Contests
April 17-22, 2017
Theme: "Our Legacy"
We are again offering youth art and storytelling contests for students kindergarten through 10th grade living in Weber, Box Elder or Cache Counties. The updated art application form will be posted by 3/17/16. Deadline date for this year's youth art is Thursday, March 30 at 5 pm.
YOUTH ART CONTEST
WHAT TO DO:
1. Pick a story and plan a picture that could be used in a book about it. (as an Illustration). The story can be one that is made up, a family favorite or from any book the student has read.
2. Create your vertical (portrait) format picture on a 7 ½ wide by 10 inch high piece of paper. (trim ½ inch off each edge of an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper) You can use colored pencil, water color pencils, regular watercolor paints, felt tip pens, charcoal pencil, crayon, construction paper, torn tissue paper collage, or any other 2 dimensional media you choose.
3. Glue the artwork to the center of a 9” wide by 12” high sheet of colored construction paper and turn in with entry form. (Free construction paper available at the Fine Arts Center office)
RULES AND OTHER INFO:
1.All art work must be the youth's original design and work (no coloring book pages or use of clip art or published cartoon characters)
2. All entries are due on or before 5 pm, March 30, with a completed application/ entry form attached. (Box Elder students may leave entries at their local school office).
3. Chosen art work will be kept on display at USU Brigham City campus (1100 South) one to two weeks. Parents are responsible for picking up artwork at the Fine Arts Center afterward.
JUDGING, DISPLAY, FOLLOW UP: At least three judges will be called in to judge artwork and winners will be announced Monday afternoon April 17 at USU, Brigham City Campus along with a youth storytelling event. First and second place winners will win cash awards and prizes. Winners will be chosen from at least three different age groups. (ie: K-2nd grade, 3rd through 6th grade, and 7th thru 10th. ) If there are a significant number of entries we reserve the right to post only the top 40 at the ART-TELL USU Event, and will look for additional places to display the remainder eligible entries.
Download Youth ART-TELL Illustration art Entry form: CLICK HERE.
Printable Youth Storytelling and Art Contest Information Poster, CLICK HERE!
Download Helpful Suggestions and Judging Criteria for Youth Storytellers: CLICK HERE.
YOUTH STORYTELLING CONTEST
This contest is scheduled for Friday, March 31 at 4:00 pm at the Fine Arts Center, 58 South 100 West, Brigham City. Interested persons should call and register their intent on or before Wed. March 29. There is no fee for entering. Winners will be invited to perform at the ART-TELL USU presentations Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon the week of April 17. This is an especially great experience for theater students. First place prize of $20 or more will be awarded. An additional prize is being offered to the school with the most significant participation. All entrants must be from Weber, Box Elder, or Cache Counties.
CATEGORIES: Contestants will be judged by grade/age level with no less than 3 categories--
Grades K-2, grades 3-5, grades 6-9
JUDGING CRITERIA: A copy of the judging criteria is available at the Fine Arts Center. It includes: Having your story memorized, engaging introduction, poise, enunciation, voice expression, eye contact, facial expression, body language, appropriate gestures, pacing, enthusiasm, connection, satisfying ending, and uniqueness of telling. Stories need to be 3 to 7 minutes in length. Students will be expected to announce the title and the source of the story: ie author, or origin of the story. See full page of guidelines on web or at the Fine Arts Center. Additional points will be given for tying the story in to this year’s theme of “Our Legacy”. We will have at least three judges, representing storytellers and educators from the community.
MORE ABOUT ART-TELL 2016: ART-TELL will also feature a themed art competition for adults and high school students April 14 thru April 16 at the Fine Arts Center, 58 S. 100 W. Brigham City. More information at www.bcfineartscenter.org
For questions contact us at (435) 723-0740 or email@example.com
ART-TELL 2017 >